5/04/2009

ARE THEY BUILT FOR SPEED OR COMFORT

Vince Vaughn asked this age old question in Wedding Crashers. Was he referring to breast implants or sports training? you decide.

As the name of the show suggests, I specialize in endurance racing. That doesn't mean I don't do shorter races; but it does mean that my body doesn't necessarily respond the way I want when doing them. Especially if I don't make a conscious effort to do speed work.

On Sunday, I raced the
MACK CYCLE TRI-MIAMI OLYMPIC TRIATHLON , and I'm in the middle of doing tons of long workouts to build my endurance. I was going as fast as I could but I was still able to talk. Basically, my top speed was no where near my anaerobic threshold. Now, the reason my body didn't respond the way I'd like was my own fault. I'm like a 1 gear machine right now trained to be comfortable at one speed for hours and hours. This is because I haven't been doing any speed work. I'm built for comfort.

Axiom: You have to train fast to go fast!

You may not have to do it all the time, but without speed workouts, you'll never get faster and the speed you have will diminish. It doesn't take much either, 1 speed workout each week in each sport can make a world of difference. After all, would you like to be built for speed and comfort?

So, don't neglect the speed workouts when training long, or you'll just be built for comfort, not that that's a bad thing ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment